Visiting Milan - What to See and Do
(Milan Malpensa Airport MXP, Italy)
Milan is a stylish, attractive city with a rich heritage and many things for visitors to see and do. Its historical streets are full of impressive old buildings in a range of architectural styles and the city is home to a number of interesting museums and art galleries. Milan is renowned as a centre of the fashion industry and many elegant boutiques can be found throughout the city.
The city of Milan is also an important business and financial hub, and the home of the Italian stock market. Moreover, Milan is blessed with beautiful natural surroundings, with some stunning countryside and popular lakes within easy reach.
Ten things you must do in Milan
- Join a walking or bus tour of the city and learn about its many historical sites and architectural wonders with the help of a knowledgeable guide.
- Visit one of Milan's excellent museums, such as the Natural History Museum (Museo di Storia Naturale) or the Theatre Museum (Museo Teatrale alla Scala).
- Appreciate the magnificent art on display at Milan's superb galleries including the Brera Art Gallery and the Civico Museo d'Arte Contemporanea.
- Join in the fun at the world's longest carnival, the Carnavale Ambrosiano, which ends on the first Saturday of Lent each year.
- Marvel at some of Milan's wonderful buildings and monuments including the Palazzo Borromeo and the neo-Classical Arch of Peace (Arco della Pace).
- Take the kids to the Puppet Theatre (Teatro delle Marionette), which stages regular puppet shows and provides fun for all the family.
- See some of the world's top footballers in action at the magnificent San Siro stadium, home to two of Europe's top teams - Inter and AC Milan.
- Get wet and have fun at Idropark Fila or Aquatica water park, which both feature a range of events and activities.
- Shop till you drop and hunt for bargains at Milan's renowned fashion boutiques, department stores, specialist shops and markets.
- Escape the hustle and bustle of the city with to trip to one of the beautiful lakes situated nearby Milan, with lakes Maggiore, Como and Garda being the most popular.